Pioneer Theatre Company AEA Production Stage Manager
For this position, please direct any inquiries, and your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
REPORTS TO: Artistic Director
GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB FUNCTION:
PIONEER THEATRE COMPANY (PTC) seeks a Production Stage Manager (PSM) responsible for stage managerial duties, including coordination and supervision of the stage management department (AEA assistant stage managers, production assistants, and stage management interns). The PSM facilitates communication across all creative and technical departments; works closely with the Artistic Director, guest directors, and the theatre’s production manager; calls all technical cues during performances; and oversees all backstage activity when in performance. The position supervises rehearsal studio and onstage activities and participates in planning related to rehearsal preparation and scheduling, rehearsals, and stage management training.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- During a typical seven-show season, the Production Stage Manager will call three or more productions and run the deck on three or more productions.
- Works with the Artistic Director as an active participant in achieving artistic goals, ensuring consistent quality, guaranteeing a high level of performance, and preserving the highest production values for all Pioneer Theatre Company productions.
- Helps to maintain the stage management office as an organized and up-to-date center of communication.
- Works with Stage Managers to develop talented and dedicated run crew and other deck personnel. Provides timely feedback to ensure a great backstage team.
- Participates in the development of production assistants and stage management interns to ensure that they fully contribute to the process, develop skills, and advance their knowledge.
- Follows LORT/AEA work rules and hours; plans and publishes schedule overviews for rehearsals, technical rehearsals and performances; provides daily guidance and feedback to stage management staff in preparation and distribution of daily rehearsal calls.
- Ensures the creation, maintenance and accuracy of each production’s prompt script, run sheets, and production checklists for management and archive purposes.
- Provides daily feedback to ensure that rehearsal and performance reports are accurate and published in a timely manner.
- Additional duties as assigned.
WORKS CLOSELY WITH:
- Artistic Director
- Stage Managers
- Production Manager
- Technical Director
- Shop Heads
- Resident and Guest Designers
- Guest Directors
- Actors and Guest Artists
- Company Manager
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Five years’ experience as an AEA Stage Manager working in professional theatre, including LORT Contract, Production Contract, and/or touring experience
- Experience with large musicals involving various types of scenery and action
- Ability to maintain artistic direction
- Experience with rehearsing understudies and/or replacements
- Computer proficient in the Microsoft Suite and online file sharing programs
- Capacity to solve problems and engage in creative thinking to overcome challenges
- Well-developed communication skills
- Works well in a stressful environment with many personality types
- Maturity and understanding of the artistic process; excellent interpersonal, teamwork and diplomacy skills
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment
- Knowledge and experience with AEA, SDC, USA
- Technical knowledge of safe workplace procedures
- Ability to work hours (including some holidays) as specified in the LORT contract.
- Available for seasonal, constant employment from mid-August through mid-May, with possible extension into June
Pioneer Theatre Company is committed to being a welcoming community that reflects and enacts the values of diversity, equity and inclusion that inform artistic excellence. We are actively working to repair past harms, prevent future harms, and build a more equitable, just and inclusive institutional culture where all are welcome to thrive.
To that end, we are seeking a diverse pool of candidates, and strongly encourage all BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, and those whose identities intersect with multiple communities and lived experiences to apply.
$1,370.41 per week. Subject to change once new AEA minimums are established.
PTC is a resident professional theatre located on the University of Utah campus, operating on a LORT B agreement and producing a seven-show season of plays, musicals, and new work, running from August through May annually. PTC produces in the 932 Lees Mainstage, a large proscenium space, and beginning in the fall of 2023, will present two productions each season in the new Meldrum Theatre, a 380-seat thrust stage. PTC maintains a full-time and seasonal staff of 34 and employs 130 to 160 theatre professionals, backstage crew, and front-of-house staff each season.
Please submit cover letter and resume to our Artistic Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.